Malibu and Salmon

by Kristen at The Red Velvet Life on August 13, 2011 · 26 comments

Hellooo there, handsome!

I met this guy after yesterday’s lesson with a different horse. We were on the way to the car, but he didn’t want me to leave (if I do say so myself). He followed me. Demanded kisses. And completely melted my heart in the process. I didn’t catch his name, so I’ll be sure to post a missed encounter add in the stable newsletter. Or something.

After all that horsing around, we enjoyed a wonderful day playing catch-up with our friends visiting from the NYC. Cristina and Ryan live in NY, but they’re originally from Texas and Illinois. After checking out Pasadena, we took the scenic route to Malibu, where we ate an early dinner at Geoffrey’s Malibu, a beautiful oceanside restaurant. After the longggggg and winding road to Malibu (We took the 23, and yes, there’s a reason you’ve never heard of it), we were hungry. I’ll blame my lack of pictures on the hunger. Whoops.

Without a doubt, Geoffrey’s boasts some of the most gorgeous restaurant views on the coast. I’m sorry to say, however, that the service was disappointing and the sea bass was just . . . good. Not a big deal, but I expect better service from such a pricey place. So, what happened? Well, our waiter forgot our appetizers and at first messed up my order. He fixed my order and eventually brought appetizers, but we told him not to bring our salads . . . too late, you know? Regardless, with the sweeping views, salty sea air, and great company, it was hard not to enjoy ourselves. We had a fantastic time and departed with full bellies and happy hearts.

{Source}

In other news, I’m always on the lookout for new and healthy ways to prepare salmon. The other day I threw together a delicious salmon dish based on Living Lindsay’s Farmer’s Salmon (Thanks for the recipe, Lindsay!). Lindsay grills her salmon, but since we don’t have a grill (yet!), I went with an oven-baked version. I usually pan-sear my salmon and then bake it, but this time I baked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Voila! Perfectly baked salmon. Served with a side salad and roasted vegetables on the side, this is definitely a repeater.

Baked Dijon Salmon

Serves 2

Ingredients

• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 2 salmon filets

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine Dijon mustard, honey, lemon zest, and rosemary in a small bowl to create glaze. Brush salmon with Dijon glaze. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower with Sage

Ingredients

• butternut squash, chopped into cubes
  • 1/2 large cauliflower head, chopped
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • fresh sage leaves, chopped
Directions

Mix together all ingredients and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 14, 2011 at 5:49 am

I’m going to HLS. Wish that you were going too. :( Sorry that your service wasn’t great at the restaurant, but it looks like you had a beautiful view and good company to get you through it. And I love that horse!! I would have wanted to take him home with me. :)

2 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Aww I wish we were going to the same conference, Erin! I’m sure to be super jelly when I look through all of your pics!! :)

And I *SO* wanted to take the horse home with me. He’s now hanging out as my iphone background, and I can hardly stop looking at him. Obsessed, much? ;-)

3 Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice August 14, 2011 at 8:04 am

I wish I was going to HLS!! Exciting that you are going to foodbuzz! Is it in cali?

Also – love the pics with you and the horse! Too cute.

4 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I wish I was going to HLB too! Yes, Foodbuzz is in San Francisco! I’m so excited!! :)

5 Melissa August 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm

What a beautiful spot! I know what you mean about having bad service like that, though. So not okay at a place that should be nice! At least you had good company. :)

I love that salmon recipe, too. I’m not a huge salmon fan, but I am trying to eat more of it because I know it’s so good for me! I really like this recipe:
Kinda similar to yours, actually!

I’m not going to any blogging conferences–too much going on these days!!

6 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

That recipe looks delish, Melissa! If you’re not a salmon fan, I recommend trying wild salmon prepared a few different ways — and if you *still* don’t like it, even when it’s like the best cut of fish all dolled up with dijon and such, then don’t force it! If you still don’t like it, you can just take omega-3/DHA supplements ;-) And another thing — I find that my salmon recipes are better than 80% of restaurant-prepared salmon! Not to be a brag-a-saurus or anything. ;-)

7 Lindsay@LivingLindsay August 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Yay! So glad you loved the salmon! It’s a fave of mine :)
I so want to go to Foodbuzz, but I haven’t traveled in so long and I’m nervous!!! Crazy, I know! And then if I don’t find a roommate, the cost may get kinda crazy. But it would be so much fun!!

8 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe, Lindsay!! It’s a new favorite of ours too! I’m so excited about the word on the playground — that you’re coming to foodbuzz! :-) Totally understandable about feeling nervous since you haven’t traveled in a while — just think about all the delicious meals with friends that await! Nevertheless, you have a lot farther to travel, so I completely understand. At least the conference itself is basically free! :)

9 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 15, 2011 at 1:47 am

Wow your food looks amazing!

When I used to make salmon for Scott, I used to make it IN parchment little envelopes/packets. Keeps it so moist and tender and all the juices and marinades are all together.

Not going to HLS and doubt I’m going to FB…but I never say never :)

10 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for the tip, Averie! That’s a good idea to keep all the juices packed in … mm I might have to make salmon again tonight!

I hope you decide to come to foodbuzz! Hmm how can I entice you? Think of all the photography you can do in San Francisco! ;-)

11 Gina August 15, 2011 at 5:49 am

What an awesome meal! I love butternut squash, I’m just never brave enough to buy it because they’re a pain to cut lol

12 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that I bought a package of pre-cut butternut squash this time! I don’t always, but I just wasn’t in the mood for the battle of the butternut squash. It’s not called cheating . . . just resourcefulness! ;-)

13 Steph @ StephSnacks August 15, 2011 at 6:52 am

Butternut squash is one of my absolute favorites. I unfortunately can’t make the HLS, I have a wedding to attend!

14 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Yes, butternut squash is so versatile! And an August wedding sounds lovely . . . maybe because I got married in August too! ;)

15 Kristine @ Running On Hungry August 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

Looks like SUCH a fun day! I love Malibu!

Next time try Gladstones… one of my favorites!

16 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Gladstones — I’ll definitely check that out! Thanks for the recommendation, Kristine! :)

17 Rachel Oz August 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

You’re cute with that horse, Kristen. :) Your salmon looks so delicious it makes me want to talk my 100% vegetarian boyfriend into having a monthly fish night. Mmmmm….

18 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, Rach! I miss you, my love!

Wow, so he’s 100% vegetarian. That’s *very* impressive and takes real dedication! ;-) I love seafood so much that it’s hard to imagine life without it, but I truly admire people (hence, your awesome boyfriend!) who can stay away from not only land animals, but seafood as well. It’s definitely another level of commitment to avoid le sea creatures! I have no problem avoiding land animals these days, but fish is a different matter.

Love you! :)

19 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 11:04 pm

OH . . . and I still haven’t met Matt! Next time we’re all in Austin at the same time, can we please do a double date? We can check out one of your fave Austin restaurants . . . I know the whole restaurant landscape has changed since I lived there. :)

20 Rachel Oz August 16, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Yeah, Matt’s been vegetarian for years now. I think he doesn’t even notice the absence of fish or land animals anymore. I am a bit more lax myself. We don’t keep any meat or fish in the house, but I will occasionally eat it out at restaurants. I just want fish or chicken sometimes!

We should DEFINITELY have a double date next time you’re around the ATX with spare time. I’ve hardly spent any time with Ian, and I love for you to meet my man. We’re here most of the time, so just let me know!

Love you! Miss you!

21 Katie August 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

The salmon looks good! Was it melt in your mouth?! The best !

U know I’m goi g to food buzz!! Can’t wait!!!! Xoxo

22 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Thanks, Katie! Yes — the salmon is totally melt-in-your-mouth delish :) Highly recommend that way of preparing it — 350 degrees for 20 minutes => perfect salmon!

I’m SO excited to see you at foodbuzz! It’s going to be here before we know it! Can’t wait to read all about HLB on your blog! :)

23 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 16, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Mmmm give me some of that salmon!

Fun that you’re going to FoodBuzz–have you been before or is this a first?!

24 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm

It’ll be my first time! I started blogging in April, but I first heard about Foodbuzz from reading Carrots N Cake posts!

25 Sara @ Nourish and Flourish August 16, 2011 at 11:58 pm

The baked dijon salmon and roasted butternut squash and cauliflower with sage look like a dream dinner! Yum. I want to try both. Now! I’ve actually never coupled salmon with mustard, but can only imagine it’s decadent and delicious. :)

I can’t wait to meet you at Foodbuzz! It’s going to be a party! I’m heading to Philadelphia Thursday for HLS, and am pretty excited (but wish you were going to be there!)

26 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life August 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Salmon and mustard are *made* for each other. Mmm!

Yay for foodbuzz! I still can’t get over how it was only $30 to register . . . amazing! I’m so jelly that you’re going to HLB, but I’m also super excited to read all about it on your blog :) Have a great day, Sara! And have a blast in Philly!