Pancakes for breakfast and dinner!

by Kristen at The Red Velvet Life on June 11, 2011 · 13 comments

When I stumble upon a good no-fuss breakfast, I have the tendency to tire it out. I have no shame in making the same breakfast over, and over, and over again. Take oats. You know how dedicated I am to my morning oats, whether cooked or baked. Well devoatees, Vegas shook up my routine, because I broke the mold yesterday. I made pancakes for breakfast. That’s right, I whipped up a batch of Katie’s Blueberry Pie Pancakes yesterday and loved them.

I love them not only for their berry-liciousness, but also because they contain no sugar or animal products. A great way to start the day in my book. I followed Katie’s recipe with just a few changes — I added 1/4 tsp coconut butter and 1/2 banana. I loved the taste, but they were a tad gooey, so after gobbling them up, I resolved to work on the consistency on the next go-around.

Who knew it would be the same day? Yes, I confess. I made pancakes for dinner. Before you assume our diet lacks in the veggie category, you should know that I had every intention of making farro salad. But my husband requested breakfast for dinner. Who am I to argue with such a harmless request? ;-)

For our dinner cakes, I added 1 Tbsp coconut butter per batch, subtracted the same amount of almond milk, and forewent the banana. They were still gooey, so I might add a chia egg or try a different flour next time to see if I can make the perfect pancake. Despite the gooeyness (let’s be honest, not a fatal character flaw if you’re a pancake), they were tasty all by their lonesome. No syrup or sugar necessary. That says a lot for these little guys.

Care to guess what’s on tomorrow’s breakfast menu? ;-) Hey, it’s better than what we ate in Vegas, so I figure it’s cool to ease back into health, no?

Hope everyone celebrated National Iced Tea Day in style! I enjoyed an iced tea from Peet’s sweetened with Truvia. San Francisco’s notoriously chilly weather never stops me from enjoying my summertime drinks.

Do you have a favorite vegan pancake recipe? How about a favorite ‘normal’ pancake recipe?

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 katie June 11, 2011 at 5:39 am

I LOVE the NEW blog look! The header is the BEST!!!!! Love!!

I saw these on Katies blog and they look just as good when you made them too! I would have these for breakfast, lunch , and dinner!

Have a great day!! xoxo <3

2 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life June 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks so much, Katie! I made the header on picnik, a free site! And seriously, I made pancakes AGAIN this morning — oops :)

Oh, and you asked about my Vegas wear – in both pictures I’m wearing dresses. The dress in Vegas Post I is a Lilly Pulitzer and the dress is Vegas Post II is a Nicole Miller (via Ruelala!)

Hope you’re having the BEST weekend leading up to your WEDDING!

3 Serena June 11, 2011 at 9:50 am

WOW! These pancakes look absolutely DELICIOUS. Usually, I like thin, “buttery” pancakes, but these thick cake-y one look FANTASTIC!

4 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life June 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Thank you so much, Serena! They were delish and believe it or not, I made pancakes AGAIN for Saturday morning brekkie! *Bad to the bone!*

5 chocolate-covered katie June 11, 2011 at 5:31 pm

This post made my day! :)

6 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life June 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Aww thanks, Katie! You’re the inspiration behind so many of my baking pursuits! And you’re TOO sweet for including me in your vegan eye candy post! :)

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Those pancakes look delicious! I usually follow a recipe I found online for pancakes — whole wheat flour, salt, almond milk, baking powder or something like that? Oh and some sugar. Well obviously I don’t know it by heart :)

Love the new blog look too!

8 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life June 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Thanks, Holly!

9 Kels@Hobo Heart June 12, 2011 at 2:11 am

I should try these out. I am always looking for other ways to do pancakes. If you are looking for a really healthy pancake, try these http://hoboheart.com/cooking/all/get-all-your-daily-vitamins-pancakes/
They are super hearty and my hubby actually liked them a lot. I think it was the strawberry topping that sold him. But they fill you up!

I love your title! we actually had Red Velvet pancakes at a restaurant in Hawaii. They were so good and they just put sweet and condensed milk on top for syrup.

10 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life June 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Thanks, Kels! Your pancakes look super delicious and healthy, too! And that’s bonus that your hubby likes them, too! I’ll have to try them out; thanks for the recipe!

Mmm red velvet pancakes — that might be next on my to-make list!

11 Melissa June 14, 2011 at 4:18 am

Loving your new layout by the way!! Very classy!!

12 Kristen at The Red Velvet Life June 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm